- Host a 25-30 events annually in Edmonton neighbourhoods
- Provide part time employment opportunities for 5 people with disabilities and their allies who host events
- Break down barriers to community connecting
- Spread awareness about the valuable contributions people with disabilities make in our communities
- People with disabilities become community builders, overturning negative stereotypes
- Strengthened relationships between neighbours
- Build community diversity, opening doors to participatory citizenship for all
How you can support this project
Sponsor CommuniTEA Infusion
CommuniTEA Infusion events are free and accessible to any neighbourhood in Edmonton. The project is also an innovative way to support part time employment of people with disabilities when they host events, providing them not only a small amount of income, but the experience of being a community builder.
Funds raised for CommuniTEA will help support:
- Part time employment of people with disabilities
- Supplies for events and maintenance of the vehicle
- A part time coordinator position
For more information on how you can support the CommuniTEA Infusion please contact:
Paige Reeves, Senior Leader of Research and Social Innovation
Skills Society Edmonton
203 Parkington Plaza
10408 – 124 Street
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Phone: (780) 496-9686 ext. 227
Fax: (780) 482-6395
Charitable Registration # 107984403 RR0001
We need drivers to get the van to Edmonton events and volunteers to help host events. If you are interested in volunteering please contact our CommuniTEA Infusion coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (780-619-4277).
How does a CommuniTEA Infusion work?
First, someone from an Edmonton Neighbourhood contacts us and requests a CommuniTEA Infusion event. We need a contact person from your neighborhood who can spread the word to your fellow neighbors that the tea van is coming and can explain how neighbours can contribute to the event.
What happens at the event is as unique as every neighborhood. Some people like to have tea and let the conversations flow naturally while enjoying music and good company. Other Neighbourhoods decide that while enjoying some tea together they would like to engage dialogue about an important topic that matters to their community.
The nature of this initiative is such that it requires the contributions of community members to make it work. The essence of a CommuniTEA Infusion event is to give, connect and contribute.
Organizers and neighbors help set up the event upon arrival, like a barn raising, which engenders the feeling that everyone has cooperated to put the event on. The CommuniTea Infusion event is not just entertainment but a community collaboration. In this way, the event is inspiration and a model opportunity for all of us to take responsibility for making the places we live fun, inclusive, connected and rich with meaningful interactions among community members.
Want CommuniTEA Infusion in your neighborhood?