Skills Society is thrilled to have received support from the City of Edmonton Neighbourhood Revitalization Matching Fund to build a Community Garden in the Little Italy area of the McCauley neighbourhood.
We are excited about the opportunity to help beautify this large corner in Little Italy. The construction of the Community Garden is now complete, and the McCauley neighbourhood is buzzing about their new community space. Many families and individuals rushed to rent flower beds this summer and we are now fully booked. However, we are now accepting bed rental applications for the summer of 2016. Aside from renting a flower bed, there are also many other ways in which you can get involved with the Community Garden. Please consult our Garden Brochure for more general information.
Join some great citizens with disabilities, and McCauley residents and help strengthen connections in this vibrant neighbourhood.
To Connect with this project, get updates and check out some great pics please visit our Facebook page.
For questions about the Little Italy Community Garden contact:
Debbie Reid – Debbie@skillssociety.ca – 780-496-9686
Gavyn Backus – email@example.com – 780-920-7423
Achievements to date:
- A diverse collective of people were brought together;
- Construction Phase I:
- 15 upright garden beds were built; and
- 3 lower wooden garden beds were built.
- Construction Phase II:
- The remaining 15 upright garden beds were built;
- A large ornamental bed was built with a beautiful arbour and brick pathways;
- All of the beds have been planted with either flowers or vegetables;
- A sturdy shed was built for storage;
- A pallet composter was built; and
- the garden has been decorated by an innovative collective.